Everyone at celito, as part of the celito team, is challenged to take action every day. Once we are aware of an issue and have a clear idea of a solution, we are expected to act on it. This philosophy of taking action steps and providing solutions is what has kept celito at the forefront of the telecommunications and IT industry in the Raleigh area since 1999. We want to inspire the same action-focused attitude in our clients and provide the support and unique knowledge to make this reality.
If you’ve kept up with this blog series, you’ve hopefully been convinced, or at least are now aware, of what can happen to a business. You have also thought about conducting an analysis to evaluate the cost of a disaster affecting your most important business functions.
What we’d like to talk about next is a specific action item, arguably the most important one, once you’ve identified your weakest areas and created a plan. Most IT professionals agree that data loss is usually the most difficult and expensive aspect of a business to recover from. That being said, a solid backup system is the best way to mitigate the risk of data loss.
The role of a backup system includes two main things:
- Recovering your systems from data loss
- Recovering your systems from hardware failure
Here are four reasons to have a backup system in place:
- Local recovery of files. Backup provides local recovery of files in the day to day in case someone deletes a file accidentally.
- Offsite storage available. If something larger happens, for example, a fire in your building, redundant backups provide offsite storage so as to provide another way to get to your files if necessary.
- Cost of backup is less than the alternative. If you compare the cost of a disaster happening to your business and losing data to the cost of a solid backup system, which do you think is less? Use your business impact analysis for specific numbers, but 100% of the time, a backup system will cost you less.
- Backup is the #1 way to mitigate data loss. Data loss is certainly not the only bad thing that can happen to a business but it is the worst and most expensive. There is a chance for anything to happen and if nothing is in place to recover the data, the results are devastating.
With a backup system in place, it is possible to recover data in a matter of hours, or even minutes, if something happens. It is the good news solution to a scary problem. Don’t ignore the issue before you end up regretting it.
celito wants to do what we can to make sure our local Raleigh businesses have the security they need and the information to take action. We have now covered what a disaster is, conducting an analysis of the results of a disaster, and one great action step toward the security of your network. Next week we will cover specific types of backup, focusing on one method in particular that we use and recommend.
Let us know how we can help you create a backup solution for your local business! Tweet @ celitonet or call/email us: 919.852.1238 and firstname.lastname@example.org.